Monday, December 25, 2006

Giving the Perfect Gift

A few days ago, I asked students to write a journal entry about a gift they plan on giving during the holidays. Some were unable to think of a gift that they could give and so I reminded them that giving someone a hug, writing a letter, or doing something nice for someone is also a gift. Of course, I could use some of my own advice. Lately, I've been worrying quite a bit about whether or not the gifts I bought will be well-received. Instead of focusing on material items, I should be going out of my way to show kindness to others. Giving should be more of an attitude than a solitary act. Here is a story that captures this sentiment well. It made me cry the first time I heard it:

http://sofinesjoyfulmoments.com/hearts/teddy.htm

Unfortunately this story isn't a true one, however, its message of giving without reserve is still powerful. It also reminds me that I should be more considerate of students who are difficult to deal with. You never know where they come from or the circumstances that face them on a daily basis. With some acceptance, patience, and encouragement, they may be able to accomplish great things in spite of difficult circumstances.

No comments: