Sunday, December 10, 2006

Myths about Supply Teaching

Myth #1: Supply teachers are rejects who could not obtain "real" or contract teaching positions

Many supply teachers choose to be supply teachers for various reasons. For instance, they may enjoy having their evenings and weekends off instead of having to plan for lessons, mark assignments, write report cards etc. This job is ideal for individuals who want to spend more time with family and friends or for someone who wants to work part-time. Now, I have to admit that I personally did not choose the job. I originally wanted a contract position, was actually offered one but declined it in hopes for a job that had more hours and was in a better location. So, due to my pickiness, I ended up as a supply teacher. But, as you'll see later, it worked out for the best.

Myth #2: Supply teachers have to deal with difficult students all the time

It's true that students will not be on their best behaviour when they find out that they're going to have a supply teacher for the day. However, I've noticed that most groups of difficult kids are also difficult for their regular teacher. And, at the school board I work for, I can pick and choose which schools I want to or don't want to work at…ever again. Fortunately, most students I've worked with have been pretty well-behaved as far as kids go.

Myth #3: Supply teachers can't earn enough to survive

Well, this myth is partly true. The amount of call-ins you get for supply jobs depends on where you live. I'm fortunate to be working in a big city where there are plenty of schools to keep me fairly busy. I don't get calls to work every day but so far it's been enough to prevent me from going back to dial-up internet. Thank goodness!

Myth #4: You need a car to get supply work

So far I've managed to avoid buying or renting a car. Of course, it would make travelling to and from various jobs easier, but with careful planning, I've been able to make the public transit thing work. Again, this is more feasible in a big city.

Myth #5: Supply teachers are not required to possess a teaching certificate

You will find that due to stiff competition and strict regulations, most school boards will only hire individuals who have a teaching certificate.


Well…I can't think of any more myths for now. If you can think of any, please let me know.

No comments: