Saturday, December 23, 2006

Teaching About Santa

I've often wondered whether or not we should be teaching kids that Santa's not real or rather not alive anymore. Well, here's an adorable story about one teacher who was faced with such a dilemma.

Santa’s Dead by Myroslava Maxymiw
For the Feast of St. Nicholas in December, I told my grade 2 students the story
of St. Nicholas. I told them he was born into a wealthy family but as a child he
would give the less fortunate people food and clothing. As an adult he continued
his work with the poor and less fortunate. He spent his wealth and died a poor
man. As soon as I said this, one of my students yelled in a high pitched and
panicked voice, “Oh, no. Santa’s dead! Oh, no he’s dead! I won’t get any
presents”. It took a minute to calm my student down and reassure him that Santa
was working very hard at the North Pole. At this point my heart was pounding. I
was envisioning the child’s parent accusing me of destroying their child’s
Christmas because there was no Santa. Fortunately, my student wiped his tears,
turned to the class and said, “Don’t worry everyone, the teacher made a mistake.
It’s O.K. Santa isn’t dead.”

No comments: